Postgraduate FAQs

Frequently answered questions on applications for graduate courses in music

Information on how the University is managing the Covid-19 pandemic in order to keep students and staff safe:

Q1    Does the Faculty of Music offer any part-time, on-line, or distance learning graduate courses?

The university has certain requirements concerning residency in Oxford, but part-time study for the DPhil is now available; see the Research Students page. There are no opportunities for on-line or distance learning.

Q2    How are the graduate studies courses at the Faculty delivered?

The MSt in Music course consists of taught seminars by the teaching staff of the Faculty, and individual supervision (e.g. for the dissertation). The MPhil in Music is identical to the MSt in the first year – and is taught by supervision in the second. The DPhil. degree is taught by individual supervision.

Q3    I have an undergraduate degree from a conservatoire, but would like to continue to develop my performance skills in an academic environment. Do you have instrumental or vocal teachers on the Faculty staff?
The Faculty of Music is an academic department and does not employ instrumental or vocal teachers.  Instrumental and vocal tuition for those students on the MSt and MPhil courses specialising in performance is provided by teachers outside the Faculty, mostly at the London conservatories, but guidance is given on securing such teaching. This tuition is funded by the Faculty.

Q4    My undergraduate degree is not in Music, but I sing in a choir and play several instruments. Am I eligible to apply for the MSt?

The entry requirement for the MSt in Music is normally a first-class or good upper-second-class degree in Music. Applications may still be considered from candidates with a first degree in another discipline, but they will need to be able to demonstrate that they are sufficiently prepared to follow the academic and musical demands of the course.  This also applies to other postgraduate degrees in music. If you wish to discuss this, please contact the Director of Graduate Studies.

    I am interested in applying for a DPhil and corresponding to a possible supervisor. How can I arrange to do this?

First look at the Faculty profiles on this website. Please then email a possible supervisor directly if you wish to discuss a possible project.  Since Oxford terms are short, but intensive, it is unlikely that members of the academic staff will be able to meet with potential supervisees, however. We will not review potential applications, or look at CVs or written materials in advance of application. There is a graduate open day each year – usually in November – which is an opportunity for applicants to meet with the Director of Graduate Studies and possibly other academics too.

Q6    Does the University accept doctoral students transferring from other academic institutions?

Usually only when a doctoral supervisor moves from another University to Oxford.

Q7    What scholarships are available at the Faculty of Music?

The Faculty administers several small funds to assist students with travel, conference attendance, and so on. The sums awarded are not large, and applications are restricted to current students. They are not intended, and are not sufficient, to assist with fees or subsistence.

Q8    Are there any other sources of funding for graduate study?
Yes. UK and EU students may apply for funding from the Arts and Humanities Research Council. At Oxford, this funding is managed by the Open-Oxford-Cambridge Doctoral Training Partnership. See the OOC DTP website for further information about the scheme and on the application process. All candidates are automatically considered for Clarendon Fund Scholarships. For further information about these awards, and funding for graduate study in general, see the University’s webpages at: